Monday, June 18, 2007

Moving Right Along




Things are moving right along in Vietnam. I have successfully mastered riding the motorbike side-saddle across the bumpy dirt path to the workshop and pot-hold filled alleys. This is excellent news because it means that I can wear skirts more often, which, given the day time heat, are five million and half times cooler than wearing jeans.

Truc bought me my very own set of long gloves and a face mask to wear around town. I’m getting somewhat accustomed to them. I do have to say that they are nice because when I wear them I am not as conspicuous, and it cuts down on the stares.

I’m getting to know my colleagues a little bit better. When I first arrived, I took some time to learn about other people’s roles so I could gain a better understanding of how the project office functions. As I later discovered, several people assumed that, since I was from Little Rock, I was from Heifer HQ. They were scared of me because they thought that I was there to evaluate them. Now that they understand that I am just a student, all is well.

I do have to say that I love the Asian custom of leaving your shoes at the door. I have often kicked my shoes off under my desk at previous jobs and at school. However, at Heifer Viet Nam I am expected to walk around barefoot. Somehow, I think certain administrators probably don’t appreciate me forgetting to slip my shoes back on and padding around the break room in bare feet as guests come through touring the school. It really doesn’t help dispel that myth Arkansans still do not wear shoes.

Random jobs have been coming up at work. For example, I’ve been editing the newsletter and reports that go to HQ. I actually spent the majority of last week out of the office traveling through different provinces looking at other handicraft workshops and meeting with agencies that work with persons with disabilities. We even went up to Ho Chi Minh City for a couple of days. Khue and I had some free time on Thursday night, and the road trip in and of itself was fun. I learned that she enjoys English children’s songs and Christmas carols. I think we were probably the only vehicle driving through the Mekong Delta to a soundtrack of off-key versions of “Three Blind Mice” and “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.” [This made me happy, though, as it reminded me of singing Disney songs during early morning trips to Pancake Pantry :-) ]

I am now living with an incredibly generous Vietnamese family. They won’t stop feeding me! Thanh studied English at university. His favorite phrase is “I introduce you.” This could be referring to locations throughout Can Tho, any number of food items or one of his many cousins, sisters, brothers-in-law, nieces, etc who are often at the house. His wife, Xuan, speaks a little English as well. They have a one-year-old son, Nhan. His nickname is Bin, which means energy, and he is the cutest thing ever.

Thanh’s parents also live with them. The grandmother does not speak English at all, but the grandfather knows a few words in English such as “Grandson!” when he holds up and proudly points to Bin. His new favorite phrase to say to me is, “BBC dot com,” which is then followed by his infectious belly laugh that tumbles out of his mouth and fills the entire room. They get the BBC at their home because Thanh likes to watch it in order to improve his listening skills. Until recently, they thought the internet address was BBC drop com. They are all clear now, but it’s a favorite household joke.

So both the Americans and the Vietnamese are making progress in different ways. In fact, my most recent gain, or so I thought, is related to chopsticks. When I first arrived and attempted to use chopsticks, I was well-aware that I resembled Edward Scissorhands at the dinner table. However, I remarked to Khue just the other day that I really think I have improved. A couple of nights later when several us were enjoying another meal with mass quantities of food, Dr. Loc looked earnestly at me and said, “You use chopsticks like my grandson.” His grandson is 5.

Well, things are moving right along, but I still have a long way to go in more ways than one. I’m trying to enjoy the ride, though!
Picture 1: This is Bin. We are learning Vietnamese together. He is far more advanced than I.
Picture 2: By request, this is a picture of Flat Stanley on the back of Khue's motorbike. For those of you who do not know about Flat Stanley, you can visit http://www.clintonschool.uasys.edu/news-events/detail.aspx?id=132 to learn more.

3 comments:

Chandle said...

Fun fun, no shoes is great too. I'm glad things are falling into place. I also love the incognito look.

Unknown said...

That hat is SOMETHIN'! I need to know the significance of the gloves. I understand the face mask for the air, but the gloves are strictly for sun protection?
I am glad you have ascended to the level of a 5 year old with chopsticks. I think that is a compliment. It is much more preferable to your Edward Scissorhands analogy.
Waiting for you next installment about the girls practicing their English skills. Did you make it to coffee??

Chandle said...

Christin, I miss your posts, come back.