Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another Trip
















Last week Khue had to visit Heifer project participants to prepare her newsletter. I finally received permission from the local authorities to visit the projects, so I tagged along.

Since the project with which I’m involved has nothing to do with livestock or agriculture, I was thrilled to finally visit some traditional Heifer projects. Not only because I have followed Heifer and its work for so long, but also because, as some people know better than others, my project has been a little frustrating at times. This is largely due to the fact that the handicraft workshop is a completely new project area for Heifer Viet Nam, so it will take time before it can run smoothly. Conversely, Heifer Viet Nam excels in integrated and sustainable agriculture. Sustainable agriculture focuses on ensuring a farm’s ability to produce food indefinitely without harming its surrounding environment. Integrated agriculture essentially means that the project participants use every piece of their farming outfit. For example, the cow manure is used to fertilize fruits and vegetables they grow and also to raise earthworms. The earthworms can also act as fertilizer and be fed to chickens and geese. The chicken coop may be built above a fish pond, so that the fish can eat the chicken droppings that fall into the pond, etc.

I visited a dairy cow project and a swine project. These programs are truly accomplishing the goals that they aim to achieve. During my trip, I was reminded of something a Heifer employee once told me: Most people associate Heifer with animals, which is how the organization initially attracts supporters. However, Heifer is really about people. The income that the animals bring into families provides them with countless tangible assets such as a greater amount of protein and income to pay for better housing, clothing, etc. In addition, the income from Heifer projects often has an amazing trickle down affect that into education and gender equity.

For example, before joining the Heifer Project, Ms. Len said that she was ashamed about often asking her relatives for rice and monetary loans. She has now been involved in the dairy cow project for 3 years. Because of her hard work and involvement with Heifer, Ms. Len can give her son fresh milk each day, buy his school supplies and add meat and fish to her family’s meals.

In addition, Ms. Len has also gained self-assurance and self-respect. Since joining the Heifer project, she told us with a smile that she has not once asked her relatives for financial support. Furthermore, three years ago, she said she rarely voiced her opinion. During the monthly Heifer project participant meetings, however, she gradually began sharing her ideas and offering advice to her neighbors. She soon became known as the local expert on dairy cows. Her neighbors greatly respected her knowledge and her concern for others. The members of the cooperative recently recognized Ms. Len’s expertise in animal husbandry by electing her the vice-president of the cooperative.

A woman who 3 years ago did not know how to put food on the table, now provides three full meals a day for her family, was recently able to purchase a bike for her son to travel to school and plays an important leadership role in her community.

In another village, I met Ms. Sau who is raising pigs. Since joining the project, Ms. Sau has used her additional income to pay for her son’s high school education (the Vietnamese government only provides five years of free public schooling). While I was sitting in her home, she pulled out a certificate. Khue told me that the certificate recognizes Ms. Sau’s son for receiving the third highest GPA in his class last semester. When she sells 6 piglets next month, she will have saved enough money to pay for their son’s tuition at Can Tho University in the fall.

A few minutes later, her son came home. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the look on his mother’s face as he practiced English with me. There is no real point in trying to describe it. I do not possess the words to convey well enough the pride that beamed from her eyes and immensity of the smile that stretched across her face. I had to clench my teeth to keep my eyes dry and continue to smile.

Heifer International would not function without the cows, pigs, bees, rabbits, goats and chickens, but Heifer is most certainly about people and not animals. I felt privileged to interact with families that, until that point, had only read about online or in the Heifer magazine. Furthermore, I was once again blown away by the hospitality extended to me. In each home that I entered I was not only welcomed with warm smiles and Vietnamese greetings, but also with a cup of coffee or a coconut they had just cracked open. Ms. Nhu used a micro-credit loan from Heifer to purchase some Vietnamese strawberry trees whose fruit she sells in the market. Just before I left, she went out to one of those trees. She cut a huge bunch off and then placed them in my purse.

She placed them in my purse. My purse with the digital camera. My purse with the cell phone. My purse with the ipod. My purse with the boarding pass from my little pleasure trip from the weekend before. She put part of her livelihood in my purse, the contents of which amounted to more than she makes in a year.

I knew that I couldn’t refuse this gift. She was happy to share what she had, especially, since, a couple of years ago, she may not have been able to do so. I said thank you and sampled one of the strawberries.

It turns out that the Vietnamese strawberry is like many other Vietnamese fruits in that after going through the hassle of peeling it, you find that the fruit is tasty, but then bite down on a huge pit that is larger than the amount of fruit surrounding it. As I stood there eating the strawberry, I didn’t know exactly what to think or to feel. As I mentioned above, the efforts of Heifer and similar organizations to empower people and the subsequent hard work of the project participants has, in fact, provided wonderfully sweet rewards for those involved. Still, as I stood in front of her house with the thatched walls, the dirt floor and no indoor plumbing, there was a Vietnamese strawberry pit in my mouth and an even bigger pit in my stomach because the disparity between her life and mine overwhelmed me. There are so many positive things taking place, but there is still so much more left to do.

So, I’m totally going to copycat Chandle here and encourage everybody to do what you can. When you do your holiday shopping this year, go to http://www.heifer.org/ and buy an animal in someone’s name. If you are like Dr. Baldwin and have already purchased all of your holiday gifts, then go to http://www.cwish.org.np/. Children-Women in Social Service and Human Rights (CWISH) is an organization working for women’s and children’s rights in Nepal. Chandle, who despite a parasite, has been doing amazing things there this summer on child labor issues. They have a sponsorship program and, by giving approximately $20-25/month, you can provide a child with a place to stay, food to eat, school tuition, and immediately stop that child from working. The child you sponsor will send you letters throughout the year.

If you don’t have money, then go to your local Boys & Girls Club or any other organization you prefer and donate your time. If you don’t have time or money, then just share what you know, because, like Chandle says, awareness is important.

If we can all work together, then slowly but surely we can bridge the gaps that exist in this world so that everyone not only has food, water and shelter, but can also have access to a solid education, a sense of dignity, a safe working environment with a fair salary, and the enjoyment of the fruits of their labor.

Picture 1: Mr. Anh and one of his new piglets.
Picture 2: Crossing the bridge to Mr. Anh’s house [Dad, don’t look at this one :-)]
Picture 3: Khanh’s certificate from school recognizing his academic achievements.
Picture 4: Lua. Her family participates in the Binh Thuy beef cattle project. Just try and tell me that smile is not worth working hard for.


P.S. If you want to learn more about integrated agriculture in Vietnam, pick up the latest issue of World Ark, the Heifer International magazine. The cover story is about Heifer Viet Nam’s work in integrated agriculture...alright, I'm stepping off of my soapbox now. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Chandle said...

Great job and thanks for the shoutout for CWISH. What you are doing is amazing. It's hard for me sometimes not to cry in front of the kids. What we are working on is so much more heart wrenching than anything I've ever done, even Katrina. I read everyone's blogs an am amazed at what poverty really looks like, and how simple yet complicated the solutions are. I can't wait to see you and everyone else. Hang in there, we're in the home stretch.

P.S. yeah, my Clinton school email won't open today. I guess I will have to wait for the Little Rock Forecast until tomorrow :)