Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dreamy Dalat
















I stole away to Dalat this past weekend. It’s only about a 45 minute plane ride from Ho Chi Minh City, but there’s still that pesky 4 hour bus ride between Can Tho and HCMC. It was a quick trip, but, as I’ve already told a couple of people, I’m not going to travel half-way across the world and stay in one place the whole time.

Dalat is in the central highlands of Vietnam. It was a favorite spot of the French in the first half of the 20th-century because of its cool temperatures. I actually needed my gray hoodie and didn’t have it with me for once!

Dalat is known for the mountains, lakes and waterfalls that make up the city’s landscape. It is also famous for its strawberries, flowers, wine, hot soy milk and pastries…so it is a happy place…very touristy, but happy.

I tried all of the edible items mentioned above and visited the local Chinese pagoda, some of the waterfalls and lakes and the botanical gardens. I also visited Lat Village, a local ethnic minority village, which is about 12 km from Dalat. I sampled some of the wine that they make in large jars, which you drink out of with a tube. I saw some of the women weaving, a traditional Lat handicraft, as well. I had a motorbike guide take me to the village. I learned that one of his favorite rock songs is Night Ranger’s “When You Close Your Eyes.” I know this not only because he told me, but also because he began singing it for me on the way back to town.

I stayed in the fabulous Dreams Hotel. The women who owns it is great, and I met some fun kids from the US, France and Sweden who were also staying there as well. For $10 a night, I got a queen-sized bed, a private shower with hot water, TV, free internet access and a full breakfast including eggs made to order. Gotta’ love it!

I don’t have a lot of time to write, but there are some pictures up above!
Picture 1: Datanla Falls
Picture 2: Dalat landscape
Picture 3: Dalat orchids
Picture 4: Buddha at the local pagoda
Picture 5: Drinking wine Dalat style

2 comments:

Chandle said...

pretty pictures and tons of fun. Don't you love cheap international rates. Here there is no soy milk. I am infinitely jealous

AJ said...

Christin!

I have just seen your email to me sent to hotmail (sorry I don't use it anymore!)

Looks like you're having the experience of a lifetime out there! Awesome stuff! When are you back home? It'd be great to chat again... it's been ages!

Good luck and I hope your supervisor is all in awe of your efforts and achievements!

Love from Bath, England,

Adam. xx

PS. Bath is now my home for the next three-and-a-half years, as I have just been accepted to do a Ph.D. here! YAY! I'll tell you all about it when we speak...

PPS. My new email address is adamadrienkirby@gmail.com

x